I updated a proto file from proto2 to proto3 as follows.

Previous proto2:
message RegisterWatcherResponse {
 required int32 rc = 1;
 optional uint64 sendTime = 2;
}

Now proto3:
message RegisterWatcherResponse {
  int32 rc = 1;
  optional uint64 sendTime = 2;
}

I tested compatibility by using old version client with using proto2
RegisterWatcherResponse and receiving responses from a server using proto3
RegisterWatcherResponse.
It turns out clients got failure message like follows:
[libprotobuf ERROR google/protobuf/message_lite.cc:118] Can't parse message
of type "RegisterWatcherResponse" because it is missing required fields: rc
I'm sure the server side responses have rc filed.
Can anyone help me why I got this error? Is proto3 compatible with proto2
in this scenario?
What can I do to make it work?

Thanks,
Yihao