Hi,

In my process of response message, if there is an error, the process would
be aborted and send back an error response message without filling the
required variables. To avoid the libpropobuf throws system exception for
missing required variables, I put the default values like following example
but that did not work, the libprotobbuf still threw an exception, could
anyone explain why? I am running protobuf in Debian Jessie. Of cause, I
could  change the required to optional, but I want to know what the default
values for?

message SearchResponse {
    required string query = 1 [default = ""];
    required int32 page_number = 2 [default = 0];

  required int32 result_per_page = 3 [default = 0];
     :
}

Thank you.