Fields are optional but the implicit default for a string is a zero length
string, not a null length string. To be honest, either approach seems
perfectly reasonable as long as it is documented and any exception is clear
and obvious. For my separate implementation I chose to interpret nulls as
"meh, not set, ignore it", but... either is fine IMO.

On 3 October 2017 at 19:35, Everton Araujo <everton.ba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm facing the situation where a string value is not allowed to be null in
> Protobuf 3 using C# (CheckNotNull).
> I do not understand it considering that fields are optional by default in
> proto3.
> Does anyone knows the original reason for this constraint? As far as I
> could see, it happens for string and bytearrays.
>
> Regards,
>
> Everton

Regards,

Marc