I have a message stream, and on that stream I want to send a variety of
messages.  I understand that protobuf is not self-describing (no tags like
XML or JSON) nor does it include the "message type".  So I'm trying to
figure out how to pack the Type and Body into a single byte buffer in an
efficient manner.
It would be pretty easy to invent something, but is there some support
already built into protobuf?
Furthermore, when using the Java API, I would like to avoid a double-copy
of the message body, if possible.  I need to hand the resulting packet to a
message broker API that only accepts byte[] as a body, so I need to pack
all of these elements into a single array (hence, my desire to find some
clever way to avoid the double-copy).
On the receiving end, I need some kind of factory to create the correct
message type based on the type embedded in the data.

I see that this question has been asked in different ways, with various
suggestions proffered, but I am having trouble finding out if there is
support for this kind of thing built into protobuf or a "Best Practice" to
accomplish this, both in Java and C++.  Maybe even a helper library?

Thanks
john