I suspect that protoc --decode_raw is interpreting that string field as a
submessage field. The protobuf wire format
<https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/docs/encoding> treats
string, bytes, and submessage fields the same way, in that it marks them
with the length-delimited wire type and prefixes them with their length.
Without knowing the schema, protoc --decode_raw can only guess whether it's
a string or a message, and so in this case it's guessing that it's a
message. As a result, it thinks the 'M' byte (0x4D) is a tag associated
with field number 9.