I feel Google protobuff is also using a memory pool internally.(placement NEW
maybe) so once we clear(), it assigns the same memory to a new object. We
analyzed the memory usage in smaps and observed that after reaching a
particular memory threshold it doesn't increase further.

I am curious is there a way to reduce this threshold maybe? Or some other way
to delete the memory.

Actually we have a multithreaded application. Each thread useses protobuff
object to serialize the data.
So we cant wait for one thread to complete its clear(). All this have to be
done simultaneously.