David,

    Thank you for your very prompt reply! I am required (for
compatibility) to use version 2.6.0. I'm not sure this makes much of a
difference. What I am attempting to ultimately accomplish is turn the
.proto files into code I can feed into the PowerPC cross compiler to
generate code as part of the static image to load onto the PowerPC.
Perhaps I'm not thinking about this process in the correct manner. If I
generate Protoc using that cross compiler, Protoc will have to be run on
the PowerPC? If so, my goal is defeated. I don't think, however, that
running the x86 Protoc will give me the correct data structures and
code. Perhaps I'm completely backwards.

        Kerry