I haven't heard of anything like this, though I guess it's possible that it
exists out there. The thing that seems complicated to me is that the field
numbers are very important and as you evolve your proto schema you have to
be careful not to reuse the same field number for a different field type.
As a result, the field numbers would have to somehow be derived from the
Java source, which probably means that the developers would have to
annotate them somewhere in Java. It seems to me like it would probably be
easier to maintain the .proto files directly rather than have to learn a
new setup for encoding the schema in Java. Maybe it would make sense to
auto-generate the .proto files from Java as a one-time operation, and
thereafter make all future schema changes directly in the .proto files.