I work at Google and I can tell you that proto2 and proto3 freely
interoperate. That is, they can reference symbols across versions and
generate code that works well together. It is entirely reasonable for a
proto2 message to reference a proto3 enum or message, and vice versa, with
the exception that proto3 messages cannot reference proto2 enums due to
differences in semantics.