The actual serialization format hasn't changed since protobuf was released;
as long as *your schemas* haven't changed in that time (at least, not in
incompatible ways; adding fields etc is pretty safe as long as they aren't
"required" in proto2), you should be absolutely fine. It is expected and
normal that producers and consumers might be using different
implementations / languages / library versions / etc.

Marc

--
Regards,

Marc