Hi Brandon,

The proto compiler doesn't generally allow what you are asking for. It
always wants to see the full closure of .proto files.

But if you are writing for Bazel, you shouldn't have to worry about any of
that. As long as you are on Bazel >=5.3, you can use proto_common to handle
most of the hard work for you when writing proto rules with aspects.
proto_common makes it easy to write rules that work like the built-in rules
cc_proto_library(), java_proto_library(), etc.

There don't seem to be a lot of good documentation or examples for this
right now. You could take a look at my in-progress CL that migrates to
using
proto_common:
https://github.com/protocolbuffers/upb/pull/1254/files#diff-6816023f8495e20887edd8410f0348dbf79b27761cd5cf44cbfa6f72389274af

Josh