I've now updated this document to include the Java naming delta:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArGmVtK1EBOMdEw0bkp4OE5UOWpRRkx3RzVoTjliX0E#gid=0

More comments below.

Justin

On Thu, 13 Sep 2012, Rafael Schloming wrote:

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM, Rajith Attapattu <rajit...@gmail.com>wrote:

I must admit that when I looked at the code initially I did find it a
bit hard to navigate the code.
Once I figured out the pattern it was easy.

I'm guessing Justin's view (sorry if I'm putting words in your mouth) is
that there isn't a pattern. I differ slightly in that there is simply more
than one pattern.  ;-)

I've updated the proposal to factor in the collections such as "work". The change in summary is that I withdrew the proposed name changes in those cases.

The core APIs follow an older pattern that didn't really hold up as more
code was added. The newer stuff (e.g. the messenger and message APIs)
definitely follow a pattern, and the portion of the lower level APIs added
more recently follow that same pattern (e.g. pn_transport_bind vs
pn_input). It definitely makes sense to go back and update the older
portions of the lower level APIs prior to release. I'd say a good chunk of
what Justin is proposing fits into this category, and some other stuff just
needs to be documented better and would IMHO not warrant a name change.

You've recently changed some of the engine names. Afaict, the changes are the following two:

  * Put the type in the name (I'm way in favor of this)
  * Use _get_ in some but not all accessors

The latter one I find more inconsistent than it need be. You've introduced _get_ in the name only where there is a corresponding setter. Consider pn_connection_get_context versus pn_connection_error. Both are accessors. Whether or not _get_ is in there, I would favor their working the same.

I'd suggest maybe starting with a review board patch (headers only to avoid
unnecessary code churn) of the former category of stuff and then splitting
out the latter changes as separate patches would make for easier discussion
overall. This way the patches could also include updated documentation
where appropriate, and it would be less awkward than trying to respond
inline to the comments in the google doc.

I'm still working on this.

Justin