[List added back in, because this is generally useful information]

On Thu, 2012-11-15 at 09:41 -0500, Mary Hinton wrote:
> Wanted to check a little more on how the github works. If I push a branch to
> github, does it just stay in the github?
> Do I have to worry about the Apache subversion process picking up what I push
> to the  github?
> Or does the Apache just pick up the information in the github from those who
> have permission to commit?

The picture is strictly one way, like this:

Apache svn -> Apache git mirror -> Github git mirror -/-> Private fork

If you want to change the Apache upstream you can only do it by directly
checking into the Apach svn repo. I don't think you have access to that
so you needn't worry.

The arrow is broken between the github mirror and your private fork
because it doesn't update automatically after the point you make the
fork on github.

When you push changes to your private fork on github you make those
changes public, but only for those that are looking at *your* fork
specifically.

Hopes that helps.

Andrew