On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 13:24 -0500, Rafael Schloming wrote:
>
> > The best way to cater to the developer scenario you mention is to simply
> > look at install_manifest.txt. This file is generated whenever you type
> make
> > install and will provide a much more accurate check on whether the
> install
> > is behaving as it should, and because this is generated automatically by
> > cmake, it will in pretty much any conceivable scheme as long as we don't
> > write our own install macro.
>
> Does it work where "make install" fails? If not it isn't useful in
> exactly the cases I care about!

I don't know. (If it doesn't, I'd file a cmake bug.) Either way though I
think with what I've suggested you have plenty of good options as a
developer, e.g. just override stuff to go where you want it to. True it
might be slightly more onerous for you, however at least it's possible.
With the current state of things I don't believe it's possible to install
properly in the mixed root scenarios I've mentioned, and at a minimum it's
way more difficult for our users.