This is also my impression about Hirams work.
So I'm not sure why there is resistance to the changes being proposed
as it's only going to benefit in the long run should the impl changes.
(I do understand that there will be some initial work in changing the
code to use the factories and interfaces).

I also thought part of Phil's (and Rob's) work was to come up with a
set of interfaces for the API.
If I'm not mistaken this work is already sitting in a branch ? (I
stand to be corrected though).

Rajith