Hello and welcome,

I had a little trouble tracking down the slide you're referring to. It
sounds like it could possibly be a bit dated given the title. Perhaps you
could describe your intended usage a little bit? In particular I'd be
interested in what you found lacking in the Messenger API, and how you
envision using the engine. You should probably also be aware that the qpid
cpp broker embeds the C protocol engine, Active MQ embeds the Java protocol
engine, and the qpid java broker speaks AMQP 1.0 as well, so there are
probably quite a few options for you to move over to using AMQP 1.0.

We're currently working on adding to our set of documentation. Right now
what coverage we have focuses more on messenger than on the engine, but I'd
be happy to take some time to fill in any missing areas of engine
documentation or simply help out with answers on the list. Coincidentally I
put together a brief intro this weekend on a few of the key concepts behind
proton. You might find it helpful at a conceptual level, and if the engine
sounds like what you're looking for I can help fill in the details:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/qpid/Protocol%20Engines

In either case as I mentioned above, it would be quite helpful to know more
details about your intended usage scenarios in order to recommend the best
approach.

--Rafael