I have been working with Keith on PROTON-249 ("Build fails on Win8 / VS
2012 with path error" [1]).  When building Proton from MS Visual Studio, we
understand that a C++ (rather than C) compiler is used.

We therefore tried doing a C++ build on Linux as a first step (i.e.running
cmake with -DBUILD_WITH_CXX=ON), and ran into a number of problems - see
PROTON-254 [2].  Most of the problems relate to the stricter rules in C++
around casting etc, and are easy to fix.

However, the fact that Swig doesn't support nested unions in C++ typedef's
means that it doesn't generate Java class pn_atom_t_u, which is our
hand-written Java code depends on.

We're interested in opinions about the best way forward, particularly from
anyone who faced similar problems when building the other language bindings
using C++.

Thanks,
Phil

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PROTON-249