On 03/05/2013 02:14 PM, Rajith Attapattu wrote:

This is a good explanation that we need to put in the docs, as
Application developers certainly need to know how it behaves.
If one were to use the current C impl, it certainly gives the
impression that put() is meant to write messages into your internal
buffer and send() will actually write it to the wire.
Unfortunately some applications will depend on this behaviour, even
though it's not advisable

If we are to change from say #2 to #1 or even #3 we need to release
note it prominently.

I think the best solution is to make this behaviour configurable, and
advertise the default very prominently.
This way application developers will know exactly what they are
getting instead of us making changes underneath.

Rajith

Making this configurable multiplies the size of the test matrix. Can't we make this simpler?

To me, this sounds like an I/O facility in which your output lines may never get sent if you don't call fflush(). This will be a surprise to most programmers, who rarely use fflush(). I think most programmers would be happier if "put" caused the messages to be eventually sent and "send" was used only for blocking until messages were flushed out.

-Ted