I would say you should document the semantics of the interface and leave
out irrelevant implementation behaviours, and that does often include
observable behaviours.

If we need to stay backwards compatible to all possible observable
behaviours then our implementation will be overly constrained and people
might as well just stay with whatever release they are on. Furthermore,
documenting all possible observable behaviours will only encourage people
to depend on them, so I think you should assume anything you write down is
something we're encouraging people to use/depend on and something we have
an obligation to at least try not to break going forward.

--Rafael