Phil,

I don't think what you suggested is against the spirit of open source.
As a project we certainly need to think about how to better
communicate among us and also with our user base.
A number of users have voiced their concerns about not knowing major
changes and plans in a timely manner.

We could ask the developers to send an email with,
1. A brief summary of what they are planing to do in the short term.
2. Expected start and end dates (a rough estimation)
3. Any JIRA's associated with the work .. we can update as we go along

And then one person (Sir, looks like you volunteered) can collect
these summaries into a wiki page of some sort.
(Ideally each contributor should do this themselves, but chances are
that it will not happen, so we need a few folks to drive this).

We should also email a summary of this page to our user list every two
weeks or so.
This can also be used as a basis for our quarterly reports.

Regards,

Rajith