So..NO-JIRA came about for two reasons.

First, as a way to escape the commit-hook level checking we voted that we
wanted in order to semi-enforce that people had a JIRA in their commit log,
because we were down in the ridiculous ~30% inclusion range not so many
years ago. Infra ultimately said the commit-hook approach was too slow to
work across the ASF-wide repo and indicated they considered the situation
as I had originally: its not very hard to self-enforce you have a JIRA in
all but the most trivial (readme etc) changes.

Following that, we kept the NO-JIRA idea anyway for pretty much the reason
Phil suggested, that by using it you are saying that you consider this to
be a change that does not justify a JIRA and are willing to be especially
called out if you are doing 'NO-JIRA: rewrite API' type commits.

I have a script from back then sitting somewhere in the deep dark areas of
my disk that pulls the commit logs and checks who has JIRAs in the
messages, who doesn't, and who NO-JIRA'd somthing to allow seeing what that
was. Ive been planning for a while to find it and run it again as theres
been a fair bit of absue lately. I'll do it in the next week and I'll
include Proton this time.

Robbie