commit ccb7b03b8089c2fea329d44cea5dc06da6345ea6
Author: Robert Gemmell <rob...@apache.org>
Date:   Fri Jun 27 10:08:24 2014 +0000

    PROTON-597: only release transport buffers if they are above a threshold
capacity

    git-svn-id: https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/qpid/proton/trunk@1606012
13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68

It makes Proton pretty much useless...

this code makes proton create a new buffer (a big buffer actually) every new
message written.. even minor messages.
The previous version before this would always use the same buffer, recycling
it... (making copies between my buffer and Proton), and then reseting the
buffer ready for the next usage.

with this new change in place, a benchmark that I was already struggling to
improve would make 2500 very small messages / second. With the new change you
get it to 333 small messages / second...

If you want to diminish the weight of each connection, then you need a proper
refactoring to Proton where you write to output buffers rather than internal
buffers. Proton needs this buffer as it is now unless you do a proper
refactoring.