Yes, you're right.
I hadn't thought of the Fedora-as-the-future angle.
sigh.

But then at least I must see whether it happens on another Fedora box,
and a more up to date one -- i.e. F20, which I now have.
My test that showed the slowdown ran on F17.

I will start that today.

I did not get the callgrind data yet, because I was unable to install
callgrind-devel on my F17 box, which is why I finally installed F20
on another box.....

so, I will report on what happens here.