Oh, I don't think this is a "me too" thing.

I have actually met some of these guys, and I
can assure you that they do not, in any other way,
seem very susceptible to fashion trends.

Git has a bit of a wackiness issue if you ask me,
but the distributed nature of git seems to better
fit the distributed nature of open source projects.

I think that's why it has spread so quickly in the
open source communities, and probably should do
likewise here.