My intention is to support a variety of scenarios for I/O. I believe it is
a key requirement that we can create sockets/fds in either python or C and
regardless of where they are created, they need to be serviceable by a
single I/O loop written either buy us or by others in C or in pure python.
(I think that covers all the bases, but if I'm missing a key combination,
then let me know.)

I believe the implementation is almost able to support all these scenarios
now, modulo a few details here and there. I will post some code snippets of
all the different permutations fairly soon (probably tomorrow as I am off
today).

--Rafael