----- Original Message -----

In all fairness, it could be argued that implementations that do not advertise
1/2 their timeout value should be fixed.   In that case, changing proton to
generate idle frames at the advertised timeout interval will help uncover these
problems.

> > As far as the local setting is concerned, the API doesn't indicate
> > that the value supplied by the application should be half the actual
> > timeout. In other words, users of the API should expect their
> > specified timeout to be used as given, not doubled (unless we expect
> > users of the API to be experts on the standard, which I didn't think
> > was the case).
>
> I'm less inclined to agree on this one. If we are going for the conservative
> approach in the sending of keepalive frames from proton, I think we should
> also
> go for the conservative approach when enforcing the receipt of keepalive
> frames before closing the session. If I were to write an AMQP 1.0 broker
> based
> upon the spec, I could quite reasonably assume that I only need to send those
> frames as often as the remote end requested them in the @open.
>
> > Currently, proton does advertise 1/2 of this value, so proton is in fact
> > following the recommendation in the spec.
>
> Aha, I hadn't spotted that in proton-c's transport.c
>
> // as per the recommendation in the spec, advertise half our
> // actual timeout to the remote
> const pn_millis_t idle_timeout = transport->local_idle_timeout
> ? (transport->local_idle_timeout/2)
> : 0;
>
> Currently proton-j just advertises the localIdleTimeout as-is. So perhaps the
> immediate short term fix here is to also have proton-j advertise half the
> supplied localIdleTimeout value to at least make it match what proton-c does.

Ah, so it's possible that having the C impl send twice as often actually hid
this discrepancy?

> Cheers,
> Dom
>
> --