I believe where we ended up was standardizing on a single snprintf-style
signature for all encode functions, i.e.:

    // always returns encoded size, never overwrites limit, pass in NULL, 0
to compute size in advance
    // returns < 0 if there was an actual error of some sort, e.g. xxx_t
cannot be validly encoded for some reason
    ssize_t pn_xxx_encode(xxx_t, char *buf, size_t limit);

And transitioning to this with a feature macro.

--Rafael