GitHub user prestona opened a pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/pull/34

    PROTON-881: Graceful handling of runtime exceptions thrown within han…

    Adds support for more gracefully handling runtime exceptions thrown from
within a handler.

    When a runtime (unchecked) exceptions is thrown within a handler, the
reactor now catches it and throws a HandlerException (which is a checked
exception).  The HandlerException references the Handler that threw the
original exception and also chains the original exception as its "cause".

    One facet of this PR that I'm not 100% happy with is the changes to
EventImpl.  Really EventImpl.dispatch() should throw HandlerException - but
this would be a pretty disruptive change, so instead I've added a 'lastHandler'
attribute to the class which remembers the last handler to be dispatched.  This
means that if a handler throws an exception inside the dispatch() method the
calling class can discover which handler was responsible (even if dispatch()
has recursed  into one, or more, level of child handler).

    If there's a better way to do this (I'm sure it'll be really obvious in
hindsight...), please let me know and I'll resubmit the PR with the changes.

    $ git pull https://github.com/prestona/qpid-proton reactor

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/pull/34.patch

    This closes #34

----
commit 709c76f48008e5e593b723d6d59bbbc89b0d5e97