Any sort of missing class really should be a compile time exception, which
I think means you must have stale class files *somewhere*. You could try
doing a find checkout -name "*.class" just as a sanity check. Also, it's
possible something in your local maven repo is somehow coming into play,
maybe blow that away and rebuild it and/or do an mvn install to be sure
that remove dependencies aren't out of sync with local code?

--Rafael