My 2c.

The "use python to drive C and Java tests" was a good idea at the time
(because we only had C, Java and Python and python is the most
productive language to write tests in) and has served us well, but we
have outgrown it.

There are two things we need:

- good unit tests for each binding/component that can be built/run
easily by developers in that language without excessive dependencies.

- good interop testing between *all* the components, not just a
"special relationship" between C, Java and python.

There is already work underway on an AMQP-focused (rather than language
focused) qpid interop test suite to cover all Qpid components.

So I would suggest reviwing the existing python tests to identify tests
that are *really* unit tests, and tests that are really about AMQP. The
latter to be adopted into the Qpid interop test framework to benefit
all the languages/components we care about. I suspect a lot of them are
the latter.

I see no issue with using python as part of the driver for C tests
since C is such a painful language to work with, but that shouldn't
require the entire python binding.

That does mean that you need to check-out, build and run tests in 2
repos for any given task: the component repo and the tests repo. On the
up side you *don't* have to check out and build every binding to work
on the core: just the core and the tests (which depends on the
bindings, which can be installed) That actually helps in the sense that
if you make core changes that break released bindings you know about it
before you ship.

Cheers,
Alan.