Github user alanconway commented on the pull request:

    https://github.com/apache/qpid-proton/pull/65#issuecomment-184307353

    The problem is that the addresses used by proton are modelled on URLs, and
those characters are not safe in a URL path:

    From RFC 1738 specification:

    Thus, only alphanumerics, the special characters "$-_.+!*'(),", and
reserved characters used for their reserved purposes may be used unencoded
within a URL.

    The charcters ":" and "/" are reserved. Now protons addresses are not
really standardized anywhere, and we could easily hack on the proton C URL
parser to do whatever we like. However many of the proton bindings use the
language-native URL parser instead of the proton C one so breaking the URL
rules could get into trouble elsewhere.

    Note that proton's parser (and any language-binding-native URL parser)
should respect the standard URL percent-encoding for special characters, so
that might be the best way to go if you want to encode topic:// as part of a
URL path.

---
with INFRA.
---