Hi Folks,

I think I have found an issue with qpid proton when running in point to
point mode. If running a single recv thread and 3 concurrent messenger
links are set up with it, it seems to cause a deadlock in the third
pn_messenger_send. All subsequent attempts to send will also hang (i.e. the
proton example send.c application).

We found this behaviour in our own code for OpenMAMA, but I think we have a
valid recreation in native qpid proton code here too - see
https://github.com/OpenMAMA/OpenMAMA/files/200901/om-issue-153.zip
(attached as part of where it was discovered -
https://github.com/OpenMAMA/OpenMAMA/issues/153).

If you compile and run that code on latest yum versions for Fedora 23 /
qpid proton, you'll get:

Creating the messengers
Starting the messengers
Starting listener thread
pthread_create successful
Creating message for sending
Setting the subject for the message
Setting the address and sending message to subscriber
Sending from first publisher
Sent from first publisher
Recv got something
Received message with subject 'First Publisher'
Sending from second publisher
Sent from second publisher
Recv got something
Received message with subject 'Second Publisher'
Sending from third publisher

Then it hangs - you never get "Sent from third publisher".

The application sets up one messenger to run on its own recv thread, then
on the main thread, it fires up 3 distinct messengers and attempts to send
a single message from each messenger, and the third one hangs.

Can you let me know what you think? Should I raise an issue or is this
something we can configure / workaround our way out of?

Cheers,
Frank