I don't know if it is javascript, firebug, firefox or what, but after
running firefox for a while it's memory usage will creep up to over
250mb ("Mem Usage" and "VM Size" in the task manager).  I have to
wonder if my Ajax heavy pages contribute to this so I'm not so
convinced that garbage collection is being done properly. Either that
or FF and/or the several extensions I have installed have some serious
memory leaks. Either way I haven't had the time or know-how to get to
the bottom of it but thought this may be a contributing factor. Every
time you Event.observe you are pushing an array containing an element
and a function into the cache array, and currently, prototype just
sets the element to null but not the handler function or the array
itself.

Colin