I agree. I had to write my own code do do stuff like you describe.

Event.__observe = Event.observe;
Event.observe = function(element, name, observer, useCapture, observe)
{
    observe = (typeof(observe) == 'undefined' ? true : observe);
    return new Event.Observer(element, name, observer, useCapture,
observe);
};

Event.Observer = function (element, name, observer, useCapture,
observe){
    this.element = element;
    this.name = name;
    this.observer = observer;
    this.useCapture = useCapture;

    observe ? this.start() : this.stop();

    /* prevent memory leaks in IE */
    if (Prototype.Browser.IE){
        Event.__observe(window, 'unload',
Event.unloadObserver.bindAsEventListener(Event, this));
    }
};

Event.unloadObserver = function(observer){
    observer.element = null;
    observer.observer = null;
};

Event.Observer.prototype = new function(){
    this.stop = function(){
        if (!this.observe){
            return;
        }
        Event.stopObserving(this.element, this.name, this.observer,
this.useCapture);
        this.observe = false;
    };
    this.start = function(){
        if (this.observe){
            return;
        }
        Event.__observe(this.element, this.name, this.observer,
this.useCapture);
        this.observe = true;
    };
};