Well I think *some* level of support would be good. Random ideas :
 - create a prototype-addons list?
 - without svn/trac it will be quite difficult to have consistent qa.
I know it would be a bit difficult, but couldn't the "best" addons
(like scriptaculous) be added in a prototype-addons/ directory in the
svn?
 - documentation for addons? is the prototypejs.org doc system
extendable to addons?

thanks!