Then this opens up the whole can of worms of, well if we're adding explicit
support for this non-iterable property, why not others, and the list could
grow along with any resulting code.

If anything, I'd add support for passing an array of member names to check
for at extend-time (thus making it extensible)... but I'm not thinking
changing Object.extend is the level to do any of this.

I'm all about leaving the core as just that, _core_ functionality, and
leaving it to the devs using it to override or put any kind of wrappers they
want around the functions.

For instance, in this case:

var oldExtend = Object.extend;
Object.extend = function(destination, source) {
if (source.toString) {
//add support for copying toString()
          destination.toString = source.toString;
}