I agree with jdalton - performance hit.
I agree also that you shouldn't use the same values for name's and
id's.

$() is made for one purpose - to find elements with given id. It
should be VERY fast in every case as it's a base function of
Prototype.

IMO, if found' element's id isn't the same as given, maybe function
should even return null:
[...]
    if (typeof element == 'string')
    {
        var id=element;
        element = document.getElementById(element);
        // not found
        if (element === null || !element.id || element.id!=id) {
            return null;
        }
    }
  return Element.extend(element);