If I understand you correctly, you are asking why alert3 doesn't show
your response text.
That's because the ajax request executes asynchronously....
this.content is still 'b' at that point and has yet to be changed by
your handler method.

If you need to execute the ajax request synchronously, there is a flag
in the options hash to tell it to do so.

I'm not sure why it seems to be working for you in IE... perhaps it's
just returning faster... or maybe I'm just misunderstanding your
question.

Hope this helps,
- Skip