From the perspective of a uniform interface, has anyone thought
about adding an optional parameter to Element.makePositioned to
specify absolute positioning instead of relative?

I know Prototype has Position.absolutize, but that does a bit more
than Element.makePositioned.

We're currently using a function similar to Element.makePositioned to
prepare for animation. The animation completely controls placement of
the nodes, so the full Position.absolutize isn't necessary.