Christophe,

Thanks for the correction. Welcome back.

I too don't see the use, hence the brusque reply.

Thymus,

In IE one could use outerHTML, in other browsers as a workaround.
some combination of temporary elements, replace(), and innerHTML
works too:

var tempEl = new Element('div');
tempEl.appendChild($(someEl).replace(tempEl));
var str = tempEl.innerHTML;
tempEl.replace($(somEl));
return str;

TAG