Ryan what you speak of is a slightly different conversation.
I believe carried on in another post recently:
http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-core/browse_thread/thread/3cdb0b85c9997999

The thread dealt with weather calling
document.observe("contentLoaded", ...); should fire immediately if the
window.onload event has already fired...

The same could be said for the Event.observe(window, 'load', ...).
That it too should fire instantly if window.onload has already been
triggered.

However, on a separate note, I am concerned about the real
window.onload event triggering while in the middle of executing the
observers for the emulated "contentLoaded".
So far though, I have gotten 0% feedback from the Core team about this
concern.