I doubt it's a coincidence that this discussion started right after this
ticket was posted:

http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/9666

My main question is why 1.6 is remapping keypress for all browsers.  It used
to only do so for WebKit and IE.  As the reporter of this ticket discovered,
Firefox has issues suppressing the <enter> key on keydown.  This seems like
a significant issue since it will cause a form submission.