I recently stumbled upon <a href="http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/
9465">this ticket</a>

In a nutshell, element.select(' > foo') does not return the correct
result while element.select('foo') does.

I understand that combinator selector should be defined between two
simple ones (so it's not quite a valid expression), but the question
is do we want to allow this kind of thing? Is it an edge case? Should
we make this work or just fall back to an alternative way?

i.e. element.childElements().map(function(el){ return
el.match('foo') })

Best,
kangax