Fabian Lange wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> perhaps writing an e-Mail is enough. Shouldn’t have sent it.
>
> I see that IE6 with .NET works.
>
> So I guess without the active X object is used. And I assume that it
> has been disabled by those users
>
> (strangely enough those are random users who do not have a clue about
> their PC. Is there any security software that does this?)
>
> But one question remains: Can I detect this somehow and display an
> advice page how to enable it?
>
> .: Fabian

Yah, I've always assumed that ActiveX is enabled for IE6. I don't know
of a security software that disables ActiveX--perhaps it is a very tight
security policy on the domain?

You should be able to test if Ajax is possible using Ajax.getTransport():

var canAjax = Ajax.getTransport() !== false;

see prototype source below (version 1.6.0 line 1130).

- Ken Snyder

var Ajax = {
getTransport: function() {
return Try.these(
function() {return new XMLHttpRequest()},
function() {return new ActiveXObject('Msxml2.XMLHTTP')},
function() {return new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP')}
) || false;
},

activeRequestCount: 0
};