In other words, you eliminated the cache?
We would rather fix the problem than lose the cache (and the speed increase
it provides). You could first try and checkout the library from Subversion
(described on prototypejs.org/contribute), create the build and open
test/unit/dom.html in Mozilla. If there really are failing tests, open a new
ticket in Trac and describe the issue there.

I don't have the chance to test it today, but here are the Mozilla builds
for those who might wish to test Prototype with:
http://www.mozilla.org/releases/

Thank you for the bug report.

- Mislav