I always thought the parameter to the callback was just the server reply
(response)
The docs show transport as a param, I didn't realise it was an instance of
the request.

Given this information, you're right, there's not a lot of sense to what i'm
doing.

After a quick spot of searching the API docs, it is mentioned there..

http://www.prototypejs.org/api/ajax/options
 Common callbacks

When used on individual instances, all callbacks (except onException) are
invoked with two parameters: the XMLHttpRequest object and the result of
evaluating the X-JSON response header, if any (can be null).

However, you have to actually check Ajax.Response;
http://www.prototypejs.org/api/ajax/response
To see what the structure of the first paramter should be.

Is it worth rewording the common callbacks section and providing a link to
ajax.response here?
Also a function signature could be included in the common callbacks section.
Might prevent others from making the same mistake.

Gareth