On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:48 PM, John-David Dalton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  This ticket here: http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/11434 mentions
>  asolution for dropped connections in Firefox. It might work on other
>  browsers as well. Basically they attach a callback to the onError
>  native event handler of the transport.

Hmm... That may be another case to consider but I think that using
try-catch will yeild the same result as the transport.onerror handler.
 After researching and testing with ajax network errors (by unplugging
my network cable after request but before server response), I see the
scenarios below.

Requesting an HTTP(S) ajax url
----
Network error scenarios:
FF2 Win - throws exception
S3 Win - transport.status == 0
O9 - transport.status == 0
IE6/7 - transport.status == (one of the following)
  12002: Server timeout
  12029: Dropped connection
  12030: Dropped connection
  12031: Dropped connection
  12152: Connection closed by server

Requesting a file-based ajax url
----
Success: ALL BROWSERS - transport.status == 0
Failure: ALL BROWSERS - transport.status == 0

Additionally, Tobie mentioned WebKit can sometimes throw a -1004 error
for a network exception.  I don't know what case that would be.