I saw in the archives that someone was looking for an Ajax.Replacer
class:

http://groups.google.com/group/prototype-core/browse_frm/thread/a2fed9db73eadcf5/bac52b7fde3e61fa

I found that the implementation suggested didn't work correctly with
1.6.0.1, so I just wanted to share my new implementation:

Ajax.Replacer = Class.create(Ajax.Updater, {
  updateContent: function(responseText) {
    var receiver = this.container[this.success() ? 'success' :
'failure'],
        options = this.options;

    if (!options.evalScripts) responseText =
responseText.stripScripts();
    if (receiver = $(receiver)) receiver.replace(responseText);
  }
});