Since this doesn't involve Prototype development, I'm guessing wrong
group.
Either way, you'll probably get more help with this in
http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-spinoffs

Now, can't say I know an exact answer for you.
But, I'd assume a combination of Form.getElements and Element.observe/
Event.observe should handle it.