I think it's definitely an interesting idea. I wonder if it belongs in
core though. I feel like (and this could just be my own style) this
sort of data management should be happening in other places, which
would probably be a bit more app-specific. I could be persuaded
otherwise though.

I'm curious about the possibilities this opens up. Good stuff :)